Saturday, December 3, 2011

Tandon Saab

Grandpa says, 'I'll be 87 soon',
He folds his hands and mumbles His name,
Once again the stories of his youth begin,
How his son would jump out of a moving school bus,
An unshed tear lurks around the corner,
He misses his son, my father,
Then it’s time for his favourite poem,
'Life without wife...is indeed no life',
I have now heard the umpteenth time.

1947, the year of partition, through his eyes is intriguing
The era of babu's, Rai Bahadur, the Nehru’s,
So different from my world,
He speaks of ‘ikanni’,
One paisa that was my dad’s pocket money,
Infaltion, he says is through the roof,
He retired in 1985 at a salary of six thousand rupees,
Now his pension is a little under fifty grand.

He laughs often,
The days are dreary; the newspaper keeps him occupied,
The evening walks with friends is postponed,
The neighbour, Kakker Saab is long gone,
After one hour of reminiscing,
He gets up with a jerk and looks at the clock,
‘Doll, talking to you I missed the afternoon serial on DD 1’,
I am forgotten for a while,
Till he comes back to ask,
‘When did you say is your book coming out?’
Alzheimer's is not one of my favourite diseases.

2 comments:

Ritz.. said...

Hey Ismita ...

Ok to start with I came here from Indibligger... and found out the book I have seen so many times on the crossword stands is actually written by you ... after reading soem of your post I cant wait to get my hands on it ....
This is a heart felt beautiful post.. and yet a lill disturbing... its difficult and almost suffocating to see someone you love suffer so intensly and tht feeling of being helpless every moment... great blog ..!!

Cheers
Ritz..
www.delectableflavors.blogspot.com

Ritz.. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Share Buttons