Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Wedding

I first saw him at a wedding,
Nothing to suggest, he had even noticed me,
But I did,
The way he waved his hands around,
To the way he moved his lips,
The pride with which he spoke of her,
Oh, nearly made me jealous,
I wish I could change places.

It’s been a while; I have seen love in a man’s eyes,
I can’t get enough of him,
The broad forehead,
The cutely droopy mouche,
The big glass that covers half his face,
I noticed he has grey in his hair,
Well, he has a wife and two daughters,
But what do I care,
I am happy watching from a distance,
Watching,
How much he resembles my dad,
The seriousness with which he attends to his guests,
The humility with which he folds his hands,
He seems to be running everywhere,
Purposeful,
But don’t I know
The tears will come,
Much later...

Wistfully, I look his way, wanting to talk,
Maybe, recreate what I had lost,
But he’s busy with the preparations,
There is much to do,
It’s his daughter’s wedding that I attend.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This poem has the quality of making my restless mind still for a few minutes.

Ismita Tandon said...

@Marita, thank you, I felt restless too that was until i wrote it :)be good

FirstTimeMother said...

It was twisting me with every second paragraph, i desired to read it more and till the end i enjoyed it.
It was her daughter's marriage.
Wow !

Share Buttons