Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Circus

From the day I was born,
I began to die a little everyday,
It was a different kind of death,
Much like a circus, noisy, full of characters, 
Garish colours that oddly felt right,
Their bright mannerism like a door to door salesman,
Selling useless ware.

An invisible force,  I often found myself tied to,
Baffling too, for I could never make any sense of it.
The circus ran on its own,
If there was a Master, he stayed behind the curtain,
Watching, but never revealing himself.

Days and years of dying to sleep, to waking with sunrise,
And the circus that came alive with it, 
I forgot what death was really like,
Before the womb, before the seed.
A quiet, unerring darkness, an unknown cloak of drowsiness,
Like a boat gently slipping away from the shore,
Without the oarsman or his oars...

The Song of the Sufi Masroof



3 comments:

Ritesh Agarwal said...

Thought-provoking, profound and powerful..... i am not a very good interpreter of poems but i have a premonition that this one can be interpreted in multiple ways

Jaded Rebel said...

I just love the expressions used in the poem. Such a soul stirring masterpiece

Ismita Tandon said...

@Ritesh Agarwal, thank you so much.

@Juhi Roy, hmm so you came back to read more. :) thank you and I'm glad that you felt its resonance.
Feel free to e mail me at:

dollzdhankher@gmail.com

Have a lovely day, Juhi!

Share Buttons